Monday 12 January 2009

Heart has its reason which reason knows nothing of

I remember reading a book Wuthering Heights, a very famous one and the only one written by the author, Emily Jane Brontë, where the female protagonist chooses to marry one of her childhood acquaintance over her love Heathcliff. That, one can ditch love, and marry a person for his wealth and position, and then justify her action saying she wanted to bring Heathcliff out of his misery by helping him seemed too feeble a cause that warranted such a choice. I also ignored many of the dialogues the protagonist says to also show her love for Heathcliff. But today, having seen the world for a good many days more, I feel I must have had a wrong perception.
A person's action is defined by querying the action with where, when, how or even better still as a coordinate in the complicated plane of time and on many more such abstract dimentions. A simple fact that I have been writing this piece of essay in the lines of my present thoughts depends on so many different factors. To elaborate: let me talk about Mother Teresa, who chose to work for poor people in Kolkata and not in Albania, her place of Birth. It could be a more reason defying and a more heart-felt decision on her part and would have been a more plausable introduction to my discussion. To reason it out why I chose to write about Wuthering Heights and not about Mother Teressa, I can say plainly it was emotionaly induced, heart-felt decision which I cannot reason with now. It was a state of my mind where it seemed most logical to have started with the introduction I had started with.
Maybe, down the line, when I am a bit more wise, I would look back at my essay and realise that I lacked any reason why I started off the way I did. My wisdom and my state of mind will then determine whether I had been logical or just another person guided by my heart. And hence the saying Heart has its reason which reason knows nothing of.

No comments: